The Leftwich Historical Association was organized on October 10, 1992, in Lynchburg, Virginia, with sixteen charter members. The Association was established as a non-profit organization devoted to assembling and preserving genealogical and historical information pertaining to the Leftwich family. The LHA was incorporated in the Commonwealth of Virginia on November 3, 2000. The LHA annually …View full post
Long time LHA member Anne Leftwich MacKenzie Chakales departed the physical world for her heavenly reward on March 30, 2015.. The obituary has a Leftwich Historical Association mention in her activities. http://www.richmond.com/obituaries/article_afa4086b-511b-5bbc-8fde-a5bc93d690ba.htmlView full post
Forest Baptist Church, Forest, Bedford, Virginia – FAG 52397228 – Uriah Leftwich line Eloise Frances Ann Alcock Beckstrom passed away at the Carrington Nursing Home on March 7, 2015. Born on May 20, 1926 in Forest, VA, she was the widow of Donald Leslie Beckstrom and daughter of the late Elijah Fletcher and Adelia Leftwich …View full post
On Saturday, November 29, 2014. Members of the Cunningham family installed a grave marker memorializing the Civil War service of First Lieutenant Littleberry Leftwich, CSA. Thanks to Vann Cunningham for organizing the event. Biographical Sketch for Littleberry Leftwich (1819-1902) Littleberry Leftwich (1819-1902), born in Virginia only son of John Hopkins and Jane Stevens Gill Leftwich, …View full post
Longtime LHA member Sandra Shell has made the news with her popular cookbook. See the details at http://blog.al.com/press-releases/2014/09/sandys_dandies_southern_cookbo_1.html The cookbook includes 500 recipes in a soft-cover book covering 144 pages that includes a comprehensive index. Anyone interested in purchasing a copy of “Sandy’s Dandies” can send a check for $18 ($15 plus shipping) to: Sandra …View full post
Long time LHA member Anne Leftwich MacKenzie Chakales departed the physical world for her heavenly reward on March 30, 2015.. The obituary has a Leftwich Historical Association mention in her activities.
Eloise Frances Ann Alcock Beckstrom passed away at the Carrington Nursing Home on March 7, 2015. Born on May 20, 1926 in Forest, VA, she was the widow of Donald Leslie Beckstrom and daughter of the late Elijah Fletcher and Adelia Leftwich Alcock. She was a graduate of Herndon High School, Herndon, VA.
She was preceded in death by her son, Donald Wayne Beckstrom; one granddaughter, Donna Lynn Helmintoller; 5 brothers, Dallas Allcock, Olen, Arnold, Nelson and Randolph Alcock; and 5 sisters, Reva (Claude) Williams, Myrtle (Winston) May, Sarah (Harry) Reynolds, Margaret Alcock and Doris Alcock.
She was a Navy wife, following her husband to ports of call like Trinidad and Naples, Italy with their main home base of Norfolk, VA. She was a charter member of the Leftwich Historical Association, acting as secretary/registrar for 5 years. A devote Christian, she worked at Christian Broadcasting Network for 10 years.
She leaves behind to cherish her memory her daughter Frances Beckstrom Helmintoller and husband Stanley; a grandson Scott Wayne Helmintoller and his wife Angie, his three children, JD, Christopher, Emma and step-son Johnathan Brady; a granddaughter Holly Dee Helmintoller Choo and her husband Joe and their daughter Zoe Dee, all of Evington, VA and daughter-in-law Phyllis Beckstrom of Concord, VA.
The family wishes to express special thanks to the Carrington Nursing Home for her wonderful care during her final years.
The family will receive friends on Monday, March 9, 2015 from 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM with burial next to her husband at the historic Forest Baptist Church, Forest, VA.
A celebration of Eloise’s life will be held at 3 P.M., Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at Whitten Timberlake Chapel with Pastor Bill Evans officiating with burial to follow next to husband at the historic Forest Baptist Church Cemetery, Forest, VA
In lieu of flowers please consider the American Diabetes Association.
To send a condolences to the family, please visit www.whittenfuneralhome.com.
Whitten Funeral Home and Cremation Services, Timberlake Road Chapel, is serving the family.
On Saturday, November 29, 2014. Members of the Cunningham family installed a grave marker memorializing the Civil War service of First Lieutenant Littleberry Leftwich, CSA. Thanks to Vann Cunningham for organizing the event.
Biographical Sketch for Littleberry Leftwich (1819-1902)
Littleberry Leftwich (1819-1902), born in Virginia only son of John Hopkins and Jane Stevens Gill Leftwich, inherited the Leftwich home at Charity, Moore County, Tennessee. He was a planter, owned slaves and maintained a typical home of the Old South. He enrolled as First Lieutenant in Co. A 41st Tennessee Infantry Regiment on 4 Nov 1861 at Camp Trousdale, Tennessee. 1st Lt. Leftwich was taken prisoner at the Battle of Fort Donelson on Feb. 16, 1862 and temporarily interned at Camp Chase, Ohio before being transferred to the officer’s POW camp at Johnson’s Island, Sandusky Ohio on April 26, 1862. Records indicate he was shipped out of Johnson’s Island, probably on September 1, 1862; possibly through Aiken’s Landing, Virginia and was reported as being among 1,104 prisoners of war on board Steamer Jno. H. Done, near Vicksburg, Mississippi where he was released, Sept 20. 1862. He was declared officially exchanged at Aiken’s Landing 10 Nov 1862. He rejoined his reorganized unit and served throughout the remainder of the War Between the States, being paroled 1 May 1865 upon surrender of the army at Greensboro North Carolina.
Following his release from the Union POW Camp, 1st Lt. Leftwich served as an officer in most of the major battles in the Western Theater, most notably at Chickamauga where the 41st played a significant role in breaking the Union line at Brotherton Farm. His unit was one of a handful that held the line at Missionary Ridge protecting the Bragg’s retreat. After the fall of Chattanooga in 1863 till the end of the war in 1865, the 41st as a part of the consolidated unit fought in every major battle in the Atlanta, Middle Tennessee, and Carolina Campaigns.
After the war, he returned home where he was highly active in business and community affairs. On Saturday, April 13, 1872, elections were held to establish the county of Moore. The organizing commissioners then appointed Littleberrv Leftwich and four other men to divide the county into civil districts. Subsequently, in the first election after the organization of the county, he was elected to the office of magistrate for the Charity civil district, a position he held for many years. He was a farmer and merchant most of his lifetime. In 1885, he joined his son, Charles W., in operating a successful merchandising business at Talley in Marshall Co., Tenn.
Church and home also played an important part in his life. An account by a granddaughter states that “when a fanatic burned the old church which his father had erected, he replaced it with a frame building, which still stands and continues to be known as Charity Church. He was always the chief strength and support of this church.” He died at the home of his daughter, Louisa Jane Leftwich Prosser, and her husband, Mark, on Union Hollow Road in Lincoln County in 1902. He is buried at the Charity Cemetery where his father, his children and many of his grandchildren rest in the old family cemetery in this church yard. According to his granddaughter, “He loved flowers and vegetables, taking great pride in having the rarest plants in the most beautiful garden in the community. He was gentle and good, and loved the higher and better things of life.”
It is a privilege to gather on this 29th day of November, 2014 to honor his service, his life and his memory by installing this marker.
Compiled by Vann Cunningham
Longtime LHA member Sandra Shell has made the news with her popular cookbook. See the details at http://blog.al.com/press-releases/2014/09/sandys_dandies_southern_cookbo_1.html
The cookbook includes 500 recipes in a soft-cover book covering 144 pages that includes a comprehensive index.
Anyone interested in purchasing a copy of “Sandy’s Dandies” can send a check for $18 ($15 plus shipping) to:
380 Dopson Point Rd
Tallassee, AL 36078
The University of Manchester report from their Survey of Old Leftwich Hall is now available in the Members-only section.
Members of the LHA recently purchased the original canvas Robert Leftwich painting of Old Leftwich Hall that he painted in the 1880s, and are in the process of donating it for preservation. Professional reproductions from scans are available (at cost – no profit to the LHA) – see the Bookstore link for information.
Message from Leftwich-land concerning the Parish Church for Leftwich (which our ancestors attended). See http://davenhamparish.net/
For those wanting to see the location of the church on Google Maps, here is the location:
For reference, Leftwich Hall marker was located here:
I have attached a picture of the church I took during the LHA tour of Leftwich historical sites in 2000.
From: Derek Whitfield
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2014 12:52 PM
Subject: Davenham Church
Hi Mike. Found this on the St.Wilfreds, Davenham Church web
page. So, they have an incumbent at last ! As its the Parish church
for Leftwich and planning for the next tour over here is in hand I
thought I had better let you know so that you could forward it to the
movers and shakers of the Association. More to see on the web page,
Best wishes. Derek.
A new incumbent has been selected for St. Wilfrid’s,
I have pleasure in confirming the appointment of our new Incumbent, the Reverend Robert George Iveson. His induction will be on Monday 8th September at 7:30pm in Church.
Edward Domville PCC Secretary, on behalf of Dr. Martin Mewies and Philip Baylis – Parish Representatives.
St Wilfrid’s – Davenham
There are many interpretations of the meanings of symbols on arms and shields. This is an attempt to decipher the meaning of the design of the Leftwich shield. The most commonly accepted meanings are given, but be aware that scholars question the reliability of placing historic significance on the designs of arms and crests.
The arms of Richard de Winnington, who became the first Leftwich, were adapted from his father’s arms with the addition of the “cross pateé gules” which Richard used for difference.
The Winnington Blazon of Arms (a written description in Heraldic terms):Argent, an inescutchion Sable, within an orle of martlets of the second.
Argent (Silver) field (surface of the shield). Peace and sincerity.
Inescutchion. Small shield in center of primary shield (an escutchion is the outer shield). Claim of a prince to sovereignty; or marriage to an heiress of the family.
Sable (black) Constancy or grief.
Orle is a border that does not touch the edges of the shield.
Martlets (mythical footless swallows who loved flight so much they never landed, therefore they didn’t need legs) are thought to represent the swift. Since the swift never lands this symbol has been used as a sign of a younger son who has no land of his own, therefore no place to rest. It may signify one who has to subsist by virtue and merit, not inheritance. It is also thought that this is an emblem of one who has been on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land.
Of the second refers to the second color in the description (sable) to avoid repetition.
Cross Pateé (or cross formee) designates a military honor.
Gules (red). Warrior or martyr; Military strength and magnanimity.
The shape of the escutchion was determined by time period and geographic region, and was not part of the official blazon.
 The Leftwich Heritage, Spring 2000, Leftwich Coat of Arms is Adopted by LHA, Lloyd L. Stone, Jr., pp. 8.
 J.P. Earwaker, History of Sandbach, pp. 208.
 “Heraldry,” Microsoft® Encarta® Encyclopedia 2000.
 Stefan Oliver, An Introduction to Heraldry, Quantum Books, pp. 70.
Contributed By Mike Starr, Lloyd Stone, Derek Whitfield